Job title: Researcher – postdoc at Research Centre of Cosmic Rays and Radiation Events in the Atmosphere (CRREAT), NPI of the CAS
The CRREAT team performs measurements of the atmospheric radiation and ionization events on satellites, aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles, monitoring cars, and ground stations. The CRREAT project (www.crreat.eu) shall contribute to the improvement of space weather models, air transport safety, and global navigation systems reliability.
Objectives of the project CRREAT are to deepen the knowledge about the relation between atmospheric phenomena and ionizing radiation, and to clarify phenomena causing variations of the secondary cosmic particles (SCP) in the atmosphere.
The main work of the candidate consists of the evaluation of the data received from our measurement devices used in the atmospheric studies and to build up a database that allows us to easily investigate relationships between the different data sets and allow easy access of other scientists and the public. The tasks comprise:
- Analysis of the basic requirements for the treatment of large and complex data sets
- Development of software for data management and its technical application
- Participation in measurement campaigns
- Contribution towards optimization of existing radiation measurement systems and design of novel systems
- Preparation of scientific papers and presentations at international conferences
- Preparation of grant applications
- Supervision work of undergraduate and graduate students
- Close cooperation with research institutes from France, Germany, Slovakia, Armenia, Russia, USA, and Japan
- Doctoral degree in Physics or Applied Mathematics or related fields
- Experience in data analysis
- Autonomous familiarization in new technologies and scientific domains
- Ability to work in a team
- Very good knowledge of English language (written and oral)
- Ability to present results at scientific and technical meetings
- The opportunity to participate in the international scientific project
- Competitive and motivating salary
- Career growth
- 5 weeks of vacation, lunch vouchers, support of leisure activities
Please send your CV, recommendation, and motivation letter to Dr. Günther Reitz (Guenther.Reitz@dlr.de), copy to Ondrej Ploc (email@example.com), and Josef Šalamon (firstname.lastname@example.org). The workplace is located in Prague 8, Czech Republic, at the Department of Radiation Dosimetry of Nuclear Physics Institute of the CAS v. v. i. The expected date of commencement is January 1st, 2020, but it can be also before this date. The duration of the job position is almost three years (until the end of October 2022).
Deadline: April 10th 2018
Research Centre of Cosmic Rays and Radiation Events in the Atmosphere (CRREAT) at the Nuclear Physics Institute (NPI) of Czech Academy of Sciences, launches an international call for application to fill up
position in experimental nuclear/particle physics.
The call for applications is open to candidates of any nationality. Other than EU citizens, please inquire yourself about conditions to work in the Czech Republic (namely working visa).
The ideal candidate will have expertise in Cosmic/Atmospheric Radiation Detection/Dosimetry in high-energy mixed radiation fields. In particular the successful candidate will be responsible for development of radiation dosimeters for detection of high-energy atmospheric radiation phenomena occurring in thunderstorms.
The work consists in design of novel sensors (radiation, elmg. field) and their synchronization, performing experiments including terrain measurements during thunderstorms, measured data analysis (Python, Matlab, Octave, …), preparation of scientific papers, international conference contributions, and grant applications, close collaboration with institutes from France, Germany, Slovakia, Armenia, Russia, USA, and Japan, and leading master and Ph.D. students.
- Applicants are expected to have (or will have in a short time), a doctoral degree (PhD) in a relevant scientific field such as physics, applied mathematics, or related fields
- Experiences/interest in radiation detection/dosimetry
- Skills for individual solving problems
- Team working skills
- Very good command of English (written and oral)
- Flexibility for terrain measurements (time flexibility and good physical condition)
- Driving license category B is an advantage
The call aims to recruit outstanding candidates with research records and leadership capabilities. The position is a full-time job for 1 year extendable to 4.5 years. Applications (CV, publication list, motivation letter) must be submitted electronically before 14.00h (CET) April 10th 2018 to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position is available from April 2018. Gross wage will be 56,000 CZK per month.